JANUARY 6th COMMITTEE HEARING
TAKEAWAYS FOR JUNE 28th
The Lincoln Project released the following takeaways from the sixth January 6th Committee Hearing that took place June 28th:
- After six hearings, it is clear that Donald Trump directed a conspiracy to overthrow the results of a valid election and install himself as the illegitimate ruler of the United States of America.
- His conspiracy included creating legal fictions to sow doubts about election security, reject the outcome of an election he knew he lost, team with white supremacists to cause an insurrection, and then cover it up with a story of deflection and blame to keep the truth hidden.
- The hearing today confirmed that Trump – in the most anti-democratic action ever taken by an American President – tried to personally lead the January 6th insurrection up the steps of the Capitol and onto the floor of the House of Representatives to stop Congress from certifying the 2020 election and confirming his loss.
- Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony showed without a shadow of doubt that Donald Trump and his staff were aware of the potential for violence days in advance and counted on it to provide him an opportunity to stay in power.
- White House Counsel Pat Cipollone understood that laws were being broken. He told Hutchinson to stop Trump from going up to Capitol Hill because they were “going to be charged with every crime imaginable”. Yet Trump ignored his legal counsel and persisted in trying to lead the mob.
- Trump’s actions on January 6th prove he had insight into the mob. At his own rally on the Ellipse, he wanted the Secret Service to shut off the metal detectors – an unthinkable act for anyone who is provided a security detail. Trump was confident because he knew they weren’t there to harm him, but were there to stop Congress from certifying the election.
- His actions after the election and since leaving office shows how unstable Donald Trump’s mind is. Whether it was smashing dinner plates against the wall when angry, or the insanely wild attempt to take control of a moving vehicle, it’s clear that Trump’s mind is unstable and he lacks the capacity and emotional control to handle the rigors of the position.
- Trump’s Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows was well aware of the violence that was coming in the days before January 6th, yet he did nothing to prevent it. Even as the attack unfolded, he had to be goaded into action by the White House legal counsel. His request for a pardon shows that he supported the President’s efforts to stay in power.
- People only ask for pardons if they think they’ve committed a crime. The guilt oozes from Andy Biggs, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Mo Brooks, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar, Jim Jordan and Scott Perry. Their constituents deserve to know why they needed get-out-of-jail-free cards.
- As we learned from previous hearings, Trump was obsessed with staying in power. He personally tried every avenue available to overturn the election by trying to create political and legal illusions at a scale never before seen. If it were not for patriots standing up to do the right thing in the face of real threats of violence and extreme intimidation, Trump and his cronies may have succeeded in ending democracy.
- The insurrection on the Capitol shows the emergence of a wider, more direct effort to impose an authoritarian government that will continue with or without Donald Trump. The Supreme Court, led by Clarence Thomas, combined with candidates like Doug Mastriano, Eric Greitens, and Governor Ron DeSantis are all actively working to stifle dissent, strangle their opposition, and consolidate power in the hands of their chosen few.
- Trump put in motion a campaign to pressure every level of government to overturn elections that persists to this day. The patriots who saved the nation are being replaced with ULTRA-MAGA supporters who will take whatever measures are necessary to obtain power – even illegitimately. The ULTRA-MAGA GOP is teaching its supporters to challenge election results in critical precincts, or just flat out refuse certifying election results they do not like.They want to make free and open elections impossible.
- Will the cowards Kevin McCarthy, Mitch McConnell and Elise Stefanik finally do the right thing in the face of the overwhelming evidence that Trump led an insurrection? Are they strong enough to stand up to the Trump wanna-be’s like Doug Mastriano? Or are they power hungry enough to ignore the evidence that Trump tried to overturn the election in order to keep their positions?
- Republican candidates cannot be allowed to simply walk away from Donald Trump. They fought for his endorsement and now they must own him. Mehmet Oz doesn’t get to just scrub Trump off his homepage; he must declare if he thinks Trump committed crimes in trying to overturn the election.
- Sadly, the right wing ecosystem is filled with wild conspiracies, hateful political aims and radical organizations that have taken over the Republican Party. The lunatic fringe is firmly in control.
- We continue to warn all Americans that true MAGA believers will not see the hearings as any sort of revelation. It will only cause them to double and triple down on the Big Lie – making them more dangerous and perhaps more violent. Every single American must choose if they are the side of the seditionists who tried to tear down a free and fair election, or do they support our Republic and its democratic principles?
The Lincoln Project is a leading pro-democracy organization in the United States — dedicated to the preservation, protection, and defense of democracy.
To learn more about The Lincoln Project, go to lincolnproject.us.