We all thought the 2020 election would be a defining moment in American history. It was.
Think of everything that happened since. Rudy went to a landscaping firm in the Philly burbs. Crazy auditors tried to find bamboo residue on ballots in Arizona. The theater of the absurd never ended up stopping.
Then January 6th happened. They killed a Capitol Police officer trying to stop the Senate certifying the election. Tried to hang the Vice President. And what we’ve learned since about just how close our democracy came to the edge is even more sobering. Rather than withering away, Trump and Trumpism have fought back with a vengeance, going not just after votes – but as Trump quoted one of his favorite authoritarian idols, going after “who counts the votes”.
A Stalin quote, as we all know now, is fitting for an authoritarian movement whose threat to our democracy has unfortunately never been stronger.
We now stand at a crossroads for our country once again. The 2022 elections at every level will define our democracy for decades. Will the authoritarians become further entrenched as they look toward stealing the 2024 election? Or will Americans of good join together and as our namesake once said, “When the people rise in masses in behalf of the Union and the liberties of their country, truly may it be said, ‘The gates of hell shall not prevail against them.”
We’re less than six months away from these crucial races. As the map evolves, our strategy will, too – but here are the statewide races we are most focused on right now. Get ready – it’s a long list.
- Arizona – Governor & Senate: It’s a pivotal swing state where some of the most extreme Trumpists in the country are trying to take control of the entire electoral process. On the Senate side, it’s a race to the bottom to see who can out-Trump each other the most.
- Georgia – Senate: You all saw how close Georgia was. Senator Warnock’s up for re-election, and this is the Trumpists’ best chance to take him out. The Atlanta suburbs, in particular, are full of educated anti-Trump voters who need to hear our message.
- Michigan – Governor and Secretary of State: We believe Michigan is one of five states that will determine the winner of the 2024 Presidential Elections. A Republican Governor could give the party complete control of the election certification process. The Michigan Secretary of State alone appoints the occupant who serves as the state’s Director of Elections. The 2024 results will come down to who’s in power here.
- Nevada – Senate: This one’s a crucial litmus test for Democrats’ Senate hopes. We have to go on the offensive here and hold this coalition together.
- Ohio – Senate: Yes, the Democrats have a great opportunity to win here – but the alternative is one of the most anti-democratic nominees nationwide in JD Vance. Democracy demands we fight here.
- Pennsylvania –Governor and Senate: In Presidential elections, it is nearly impossible for a Democrat Presidential candidate to prevail without winning in the Keystone state. The Toomey open seat is the Democrats’ best chance at a pickup of a GOP seat.
- Wisconsin – Governor and Senate: Will incumbent Gov. Tony Evers hold the line for democracy? And can Democrats knock off one of the worst authoritarians in the Senate in Ron Johnson?
Yes, it’s an ambitious focus. We haven’t even mentioned the crucial fight for the House yet. Soon we’ll tell you more about our target House races, which in many cases will be equally important as the statewide fights.
We’re not going after the easy fights. We’re looking at every race in the country and scoring it based on its implications for democracy.
In the next few weeks, we’ll be doing a deeper dive into each of these races. You’ll hear from our senior team about why we think our time, energy, and money are best spent in each place.
-Rick, Reed, Stuart, Joe, and Megan