WASHINGTON, DC US, May 28, 2020 - Today, The Lincoln Project issued a statement in response to Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg’s critique of Twitter’s decision to censor President Trump’s tweets.

“It’s blatantly hypocritical for Facebook to wade into this conversation when just this month they censored our “Mourning in America” Ad on their platform,” said Reed Galen, co-founder of The Lincoln Project. “Mark Zuckerberg’s defense of President Trump isn’t a surprise, it’s just his latest act of politically motivated cowardice, and lays bare his allegiance to Trump’s authoritarian views on misinformation and misleading the American people.”

“Zuckerberg’s shifting views on what is and isn’t acceptable when it comes to truth-telling and disseminating misleading information is completely dependent on how much money he stands to gain,” said John Weaver, co-founder of the Lincoln Project. “He isn’t defending free speech, he’s pandering to his cash cow President Trump and defending his unethical platform. Zuckerberg would sacrifice democracy for more rubles or dollars, doesn’t matter which.”

Co-founders Rick Galen, George Conway, Steve Schmidt, Rick Wilson, and John Weaver are available for comment and interview.

Nearly every day, President Trump is in clear violation of Facebook’s rules on election misinformation. But Facebook has a well-documented history of allowing misinformation, doctored videos, fake accounts, factually absent statements, and provably false ads run by the Trump Campaign to remain available on their site.

Earlier this month, Facebook censored The Lincoln Project’s video “Mourning in America,” hours after President Trump complained about it on Twitter. Facebook cited the video as “partly false” and then dramatically lowered its circulation.

The Lincoln Project is a group of prominent republicans working to defeat the re-election of Donald J. Trump and those who support him.